Naturally and Historically Beautiful on Eagle Bluff
Nestled in the bluffs along the Mississippi River, Fountain City is the oldest settlement in Buffalo County. Rich in natural and historical beauty, this small river-town community is proud of its miles of memories and unique attractions. The panoramic view of Fountain City is highlighted by Eagle Bluff, which stands 550 feet above the river, one of the highest points on the Mississippi. Whether driving scenic Highway 35, internationally recognized as “The Great River Road,” or vacationing along the Mississippi River, visitors will experience a diversity of multi-seasonal activities.
During the warm embrace of summer, visitors to Fountain City enjoy activities such as camping in beautiful Merrick State Park, traversing the scenic bluffs, and angling the main channel and backwaters of “Old Man River.” A public boat landing provides access to Fountain City from the river.
Summer also offers visitors a variety of unique shops and restaurants to enjoy. As the chilly northern winds begin to blow in across the river and winter makes its home along the upper Mississippi, visitors enjoy activities like ice fishing, snowmobiling, and hunting. The Fountain City area is part of the Great Northern Flyway for migratory birds and home to bald eagles, great blue herons and egrets. For generations there have been trophy whitetail deer in Monarch Valley and wild turkey are plentiful. If you are lucky, you may be able to catch a glimpse of one of the rare albino deer that thrive in the woodlands surrounding Fountain City.
Visit the studio of nationally acclaimed wood carver Leo Smith and watch river traffic at Lock and Dam No. 5-A. A fishing float is moored below the dam. Two miles north of town is Merrick State Park, with hiking trails, picnic areas and family campsites located right beside the Mississippi.
- Visit one of the largest pedal car displays in the country at Elmer’s Auto and Toy Museum
- Take a drink from the historic water fountain between Highway 35 and Main Street. The City is named after this fountain.
- Self-guided historic walking tour booklets available from local businesses
- Visit the Seven Hawks wine tasting room and wine bar, located in Fountain City at 17 North Street (just behind the Golden Frog), in a 1870’s renovated gem, one of many fine old buildings in historic Fountain City
- Learn all about lefse at Lefse Time.